Crest

About Darlington FC

Darlington Football Club was formed in July 1883 when a number of representatives from several teams in the town met in a local grammar school and decided to form one club.
Feethams became the home for the new club, and stayed there until 2003, when the club moved across town to a new 27,000 seater arena.

Darlington were one of the original founder members of the Northern League in 1889 and went on to win the title twice in 1896 and 1900. The club turned professional in 1908 and decided to join the newly formed North Eastern League – although it would return to the Northern League most unexpectedly a century later.

The club reached the last sixteen of the FA Cup in 1910/11.

In November 1955 the club made history. At St James Park, Newcastle, Darlington played Carlisle United in the first ever FA Cup match to be played under floodlights in a second round replay which Darlington won 3-1.

Quakers enjoyed one of their best ever FA Cup runs in 1958 when they became one of the giantkillers of the competition. After beating Rochdale, Boston and Norwich, they came up against First Division Chelsea. After drawing 3-3 at Stamford Bridge, Quakers beat the Londoners 4-1 in the replay at Feethams in front of 15,150 fans.

In 2012 a supporters group took control of the club and agreed a groundshare with Bishop Auckland at Heritage Park twelve miles away.

The Quakers moved back to their home town on Boxing Day 2016 at their new Blackwell Meadows ground – which is rented from Darlington Rugby Club — in the Vanarama National League North.

View more pro clubs

Facts

Founded:
1883
Nickname:
The Quakers
Ground:
Blackwell Meadows
Manager:
Tommy Wright
League:
National League